Followers

Recent Posts

Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Alive!!

The Robobuilder kit is actually really easy to put together. Inspired by similar robots, I chose to assemble the HUNO configuration.

The instructions are very easy to follow, but here are a few things that I learned which might make it easier if you are having trouble.

Firstly, whenever I build something, I assume I will make at least one mistake. This might mean undoing and re-doing several steps, so I never tighten anything down completely. This has the added advantage of making it easier to line up parts which are already attached to the assembly. Most of the wCK servos are attached to the frame using four screws, but only two are necessary to fully constrain the unit. Once I had fully tested the robot, I went back and put the other two screws in each of the servos.

I was glad I took my own advice when I realised about 4 steps in that the numbers on the servos actually matter. I should have realised this earlier, since the servos are daisy chained together, so they must need to be addressed in some fashion. It is possible to reassign the ID numbers on the servo, but all of the examples and tools assume you have assembled the model as shown in the instructions.

The little spanner shaped connectors have a tiny bronze threaded nut in one side of them. If the bolt you are using isn't exactly lined up with the hole, it has a tendency to push the bronze nut out of the plastic. Once out, it's really hard to get back in, so make sure that you can see right through the hole before you put the bolt in.

Finally, I strongly recommend attaching the arms (steps 15 and 16) before attaching the legs (step 14). The legs are very heavy and tend to flop around while you're trying to orient the arms to put the bolt in. The arms are much lighter and won't move under their own weight.

Anyway, without further ado, here he is!


Isn't he cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment